350.org - Moving Planet
A day to move beyond fossil fuels
Moving Planet is a worldwide rally to demand solutions to the climate crisis—a single day to move away from fossil fuels. For too long, our leaders have denied and delayed, compromised and caved. That era must come to an end.
Urge your congregation to be a part of a global rally to demand action from world leaders. It's time to get moving on the climate crisis.
We want to create a massive day of climate action that will unite people all over the world. On September 24, on bike and on foot and on boards, we’re going to point the way towards that future. If you want to see what other folks in your city are doing, you can check the website at Moving Planet .
By days' end, we’ll have shown why the bicycle is more glamorous than the car, and why the people have the potential to be more powerful than the polluters. As Bill McKibben says, "On some days fighting global warming means swallowing hard, mustering your courage, and making a sacrifice -- other days it means getting all your friends up in the saddles of their bikes to have some fun and help move the planet forward."
To see the kind of passion and commitment on display in DC, check out this beautiful photo album, and get inspired for all the movement to come.
On 24 September, we won't just be cycling or marching―we'll also be delivering a clear and strong set of demands.
These demands will differ from one country to the next, of course, because the steps we need to take depend on how much fossil fuel we already use. But the rough outlines are clear:
- Science-based policies to get us back to 350ppm
We can’t negotiate with chemistry and physics--that’s why we know we have to make sure that climate politics is in line with climate science. We must push for a UN climate regime that lays out the path for a socially just pathway below 350ppm. We must reach peak global emissions as quickly as (humanly) possible.
- A rapid, just transition to zero carbon emissions.
We know that the only way to avert climate catastrophe is an emergency mobilization to cut emissions to zero as soon as possible. That’s why we’re encouraging organizing efforts everywhere to support programs that aim for:
- 100% renewable energy
- Zero carbon emissions
- Leaving fossil fuels in the ground
- A mobilization of funding for a fair transition to a 350ppm world.
Climate change is a moral crisis, and we know that one of the most important ways to address the issue is for the richest among us to help the poorest among us to deal with the burdens of climate change. We must support policies and programs that ensure financing for a fair transition, such as:
- Adaptation funding appropriate to the risks and damage already happening from climate impacts
- Funding for access to clean, renewable energy to lift people out of poverty
- The wealthy (people and countries) should do their fair share to fund a fair transition to 350ppm
- Lifting the rights of people over the rights of polluters.
Lifting the rights of people and nature over the rights of polluters. The climate crisis is a human rights crisis. We must support policies and programs that lift up the rights of people over the rights of polluters, such as:
- Reducing corporate power’s unfair influence on our leaders
- Stopping dirty energy projects
- Getting dirty money out of elections
- Supporting the rights of indigenous peoples
- Protecting human health
For more information, ideas, printable fliers and more, go to the 350.org website.