Earth Day 2009
Dear Earth Community, What can we as Unitarian Universalists contribute to build a planet that is both sustainable and just?
Environmental Justice is the theme of UU Ministry for Earth's second annual Earth Day Resources. As UUs we are called to articulate the interface between our understanding of our place in the natural world and the daunting political, social and economic issues of our time. We call this interface Environmental Justice, a bridge between Nature and Society which pursues simultaneously the protection of natural systems and the ecological health of human communities, especially communities of the poor, minorities, and indigenous peoples.
With generous support from the UU Funding Program, UUMFE has created the following resources to help you build Earth justice in your congregation:
Video of Van Jones presenting the Ware Lecture at 2008 General Assembly - A stirring call to Environmental Justice and a Green Economy.
Call to Action - introduces Action Projects developed in collaboration with the UUA Washington Office for Advocacy and Witness and the UU Service Committee (PDF 453 KB).
Environmental Justice "Green Papers"
Free Earth Day Sunday Celebration Resources (downloadable) including:
- Order of Service Cover for Earth Day 2009 (PDF 244 KB)
- Nine Educational Posters on Environmental Justice and UUMFE
- About UU Ministry for Earth (PDF 660 KB)
- Biodiversity (PDF 415 KB)
- Climate (PDF 982 KB)
- EnvironmentalJustice (PDF 808 KB)
- Food (PDF 889 KB)
- Geography (PDF 913 KB)
- Green Jobs (PDF 312 KB)
- Meditation from Rev. Bill Sinkford (PDF 1.2 MB)
- Mountaintop Removal (PDF 708 KB)
- Certificate to Honor your Congregational Eco-Hero (PDF 676 KB )
- Guardian Nomination forms to nominate your Eco-Hero for the 2009 UUMFE Guardian of the Future Award. Available in two formats:
- UU Ministry for Earth brochure with form(current version (PDF) and the Resource Order Form (PDF).